The Little Giant of Aberdeen County by Tiffany Baker
What is beauty, really? Is it what’s on the inside or
outside that counts? These are questions tested in The Little Giant of Aberdeen County by Tiffany Baker.
The story is about Truly, a girl that is the size of a
giant. Even as a newborn, she weighed about 20 pounds. With a ‘perfect’,
gorgeous, skinny sister like Serena Jane and no mom in the family, Truly’s life
was a mess. She moved in with the crazy, poor family while her sister was
adopted into a rich one. And when Serena Jane married the doctor and died,
Truly was forced to move in with him for the sake of Serena’s son, Bobbie.
Serena, from the start, is the beautiful one, at least on
the outside. Yes, she was nice, too but she didn’t care for Truly. Truly had
the more beautiful inside. But no one judges from the inside. Everyone loves
Serena more, and no one pays attention to Truly except to tease her. Only
Marcus, another outcast, even speaks to her. He loves her, and he sees her for
what she really is, not what everyone else thinks. I think that he sees what
everyone else should. He sees real beauty.
I think that without seeing Truly’s side of the story, you
would start to think what everyone else thinks. You might not want to, but you
can’t help it. A poor girl who wears boy clothes and is huge- what would you
think? People can’t really help but think like that. No one wants to, but it
does happen.
I think that Truly really shows what beautiful should be
like. She stays strong even with all of the teasing, doesn’t want to get
revenge when people bully her, she worked so hard in a family that wasn’t hers,
and left that family to take care of her nephew. She was a kind, selfless
person, and that should be what beauty is about.
great post! I agree with what you said on how beauty should be based on what type of person you are instead of what type of person you look like. the problem is, some people don't wait to get to know you and they just judge you on appearances alone. i guess that's what happened to Truly. people never waited to see what type of person she was, and just teased her, and assumed she would be no fun to be friends with because of her weight.
ReplyDeleteHey Jadyn, yeah I agree with Emma, GREAT POST! But I also think that your right, and its a huge problem because humans will probably never learn to look at people for who they are and not what they look like which really is not fair. Also, I believe that beauty is yes, selflessness, but all around it is the traits that make you who you are. Truly, is really not alone, but it seems like there are so many judgemental people and so few that look at who she is, which would really box her in.
ReplyDeleteI agree with what you said about people seeing beauty on the outside not inside. We can't say all, but the majority of them think like that. I also agree that if the book wasn't written from Truly's perspective, then readers would just see it the way that most people see it. Huge girl. Must be ugly. Inside. And out. I think that the people who are treated worse than others because they're ugly, should come out openly and stay confident. They should speak louder and actually show the beauty inside them. This is a really great post!
ReplyDeleteHey Jadyn! Ok first this is an amazing post partly becasue I agree with you but also, it's SO true. I agree with Maliha that not everyone is judgemental in that sense but yes, a lot seem like they are. But why do you think people overlook the beuty inside her? Besides her appearance of "fat" and "ugly" I believe that those judging her like that are the ugly ones on the inside....also I've been in a situation where soemone would point out an extremely obese person and I guess talking about other people's "imperfectness" helps those people talking gain confidence.
ReplyDelete