Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Making Sacrifices

The Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult

Spoiler Alert!

I recently read 'The Plain Truth' by Jodi Picoult. It's about a lawyer who was given a job on an Amish farm- defending an 18 year old girl. Katie, the girl, is accused of murdering her child right after it is born. Ellie, the lawyer, has to live on the Amish farm until after the trial. At first, she is mad and annoyed by the lack of electricity and other people, but gradually she makes friends with the family.

Many sacrifices had to be made in order to let Katie get out of having to go to jail. First, her father, and the Amish community, have to agree to let a lawyer into their town and let her use her phone and computer. Her father is obviously mad, but he probably gave in because even though he was furious with his daughter, he loved her. This is the first sacrifice.

The second came from Katie, her mom, and her brother, Jacob, who had been disowned by his father for studying. Katie was sent by her mother to see Jacob in college for 6 years after he was disowned and temporarily banned from the community. When he came to see his sister and be questioned, all three of them had to reveal their secret to their father/ husband, who was horrified, disappointed, and mad. This takes courage.

One last sacrifice made was by Sarah, the mother, and Ellie. As Ellie was leaving, Sarah gave her the shears that had been used to cut Katie's umbilical chord and had gone missing. This revealed to Ellie that Sarah had killed her granddaughter for her daughter's sake. Ellie chose not to tell anyone and keep Sarah's secret safe. I think that this shows a lot about who Ellie is.

The whole family made sacrifices for Katie, and it payed off in the end. They all obviously love her, and I admire that. For example, I couldn't have done what Sarah did in the end. So I admire their strengths. It all worked out in the end.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jadyn!!! So, as you know, I also just read this book. I think that you are right and really, the whole book is themed around everyone making small sacrifices, and at the end of the day, its all to save Katie, who by the end of the book everybody has learned to love. I don't really think the father is making a big sacrifice. I think yes, he is making sacrifices, but everything he is sacrificing is one of his unreasonable, crazy habits or beliefs. For example, KAtie should not had to have snuck out to see her brother in the first place, so he doesn't really have any right to be angry at all. But either way, I loved your post!

    ReplyDelete